Latest insights from our experts

Posted 11 August 2016

Park owners, do you have a licence to play music?

With the summer season upon us, many holiday parks will be hosting activities and events which will likely involve playing recorded or live music.

The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 requires anyone who plays copyrighted music in a public place to obtain permission from the work’s copyright holder.

However, park owners can obtain a single PRS music licence which allows them to play copyright music without having to contact each copyright holder.

The licence includes the use of:

  • Live music;
  • Discos and karaoke machines;
  • Background music and TV/radio systems.

Additionally the Legislative Reform (Entertainment Licencing) Order 2014 allows Parks to play live or recorded music between the hours of 8am and 11pm to audiences of no more than 500 people in premises licensed to sell alcohol without the need for a specific entertainment licence.

If you have any queries or if you are interested in subscribing to our Parklaw service contact the parks team by telephone on 01392 207020 or email


Want to know more?

Request a call back or ask us a question using our quick-contact form.
Alternatively you can call us on 01392 207020.

About the author