Latest insights from our experts

Posted 23 April 2015
by Paul Kelly

Are you required to insulate rental park homes?

The Energy Act 2011 requires the Secretary of State to implement regulations which prevent a landlord from renting certain properties unless they meet a minimum energy standard (“the MES”). In order to meet the MES landlords will need to carry out energy efficiency improvements, such as insulation, to any affected properties. 

The question for park owners is whether they will be obligated to insulate the park homes they let?

Recently the Secretary of State has issued draft regulations known as The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property)(England and Wales) Regulations 2015 (“the Regulations”) to be considered by the House of Parliament. The Regulations currently provide that the MES will not apply to properties which do not require an Energy Performance Certificate (“EPC”).

Currently park homes do not require an EPC and therefore park owners will not be obliged to insulate their park homes to meet the MES in order to let them.

If you have any questions regarding the minimum energy standard requirement or if you are interested in subscribing to our parklaw service contact the parks team by telephone on 01392 204519 or email





Want to know more?

Request a call back or ask us a question using our quick-contact form.
Alternatively you can call us on 01392 207020.

About the author

Paul Kelly

Partner and Solicitor

Paul is the managing partner of the firm