Latest insights from our experts

Posted 18 October 2013
by Paul Kelly

Holiday caravan parks – PRS music licence

Under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be able to play copyright music in a public place you must have the permission of the person who holds the copyright to each song being played.

To seek permission from every copyright holder would be an impractical situation therefore PRS for music provide a single licence that allows copyright music to be played in public without having to contact each copyright holder.

Apart from those exempt, anybody who intends to play copyright music in public on their premises is required to obtain a licence.

Those who apply for a licence before they start playing music will be charged at a standard rate. Anyone who plays music in a public place before they apply for a licence will be charged at a higher rate for the first year.

The licence includes the use of:

  • Background music and TV/radio systems;
  • Live music;
  • Discos and karaoke machines; and
  • TVs and radios in guests’ bedrooms.

If you have any questions relating to the music licence contact the parks team on telephone 01392 207020 or by email



Want to know more?

Request a call back or ask us a question using our quick-contact form.
Alternatively you can call us on 01392 207020.

About the author

Paul Kelly

Partner and Solicitor

Paul is the managing partner of the firm