Covid-19 Update: We are continuing to provide our usual services whilst maintaining the safety of clients and colleagues. Read our latest update here.

Complete the form below to ask us a question or make an enquiry. We’ll get back to you via phone or email as soon as possible.


Notice Periods and Eviction Extension update

Posted on 11th March 2021 in Affordable Housing

Posted by

Sarah Schooling

Associate and Solicitor
Notice Periods and Eviction Extension update

Yesterday, the government released the following update:

Further support for commercial and residential tenants - GOV.UK (

In essence:

The ban on bailiffs enforcing possession orders by warrants and writs is extended to 31 May 2021.

The requirement to give extended notice (i.e. 6 months’ notice for most tenancies) is also extended to 31 May 2021. 

The position will be reviewed by the government at the end of May 2021 and as the country moves out of lockdown, the government plan is to have a “broader strategy for protecting public health... to help reduce pressure on essential public services”.  In a housing context, we think this means that the government will need to consider the massive increase in possession claims courts are likely to receive now that extended notice periods have begun to expire and homeless applications that local authorities are likely to receive once the majority of evictions can go ahead.

The regulations to support these changes are not available so we do not know the detail of these yet. 

Our Affordable Housing team have over 25 years experience in this sector, forming close working relationships with their housing clients. To find out more about the areas they advise on and their bespoke services please visit their hub page or contact a member of the team.

Contact the team 


Paper plane


Get the latest news straight from our legal experts.

Subscribe to our newsletter to recieve current, dedicated, suppport and guidance from our solicitors straight to your inbox, wherever you are.

Company & Industry

Related Insights


What to do when a loved one has lost the mental capacity to deal with their own affairs

Posted on 15th October 2021 in Safeguarding Vulnerable Clients

When a person loses mental capacity, they cannot usually put a Power of Attorney in place. Instead, in order to appoint someone to make decisions for them, an application needs to be made to the Court of Protection to appoint a deputy.

Posted by

Emma Ruttley


Is a glamping pod or shepherd’s hut a building?

Posted on 15th October 2021 in Planning and Licensing

In a recent decision issued by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) it was confirmed that a shepherd's hut and a glamping pod met the definition of ‘caravan’.

Posted by

Amy Cater

Partner and Solicitor