Planning & Licensing

Planning & Licensing

Close up of hands opening a bottle of wine

Planning control regulates the development and use of land. A key role is to enable the provision of homes, investment and jobs, vibrant town centres and recreational/tourist facilities, whilst at the same time protecting the natural environment.

There are two broad types of “development” that are subject to planning control. The first is “operational development” which essentially means building or engineering operations. The second is the material change of use of land or buildings.

The planning system is policy led and Local Planning Authorities are required to make decisions in accordance with their adopted policies and any other material considerations that might be applicable.  Failure to do so can result in a successful challenge to any decision.

Some forms of development benefit from blanket planning permission and do not require specific applications for planning permission to be made, but in other cases a formal application will need to be made to the local planning authority.  Where an application is initially unsuccessful we can take it to appeal where we have an excellent track record.

Our experienced licensing team deals with liquor, public entertainment and gaming machines licensing for a wide range of clients both locally and nationally. With our particular experience in the leisure industry these include cafes, pubs, clubs, hotels, holiday parks and attractions.

We will represent you at court and other licensing committees as well as keeping you up to date with changes in the law.

We Advise On:

  • when planning permission is required
  • planning applications from preparation to liaising with local planning authorities
  • appeals
  • challenging planning decisions in the courts
  • development proposals
  • the planning aspects of listed buildings, ancient monuments and conservation areas
  • preparation of planning obligations
  • enforcement action
  • applications for liquor licenses, occasional licences, transfers and protection orders
  • licensing enforcement  and prosecutions

What clients say

I found your service 1st class from the very beginning. Very friendly, understanding and very businesslike.


Please click here to view our Licensing Price and Stage Information.

Want to know more?

Request a call back or ask us a question using our quick-contact form.
Alternatively you can call us on 01392 207020.

Read our FREE Guides

Download now

Recent article

Barn in a field
Kelly Burns

Posted by Kelly Burns     

Class Q Prior Approval Applications – are extensions of time allowed?

Can you agree to an extension of time in a Class Q (agricultural buildings to dwellinghouse) prior approval application? This was the question recently answered by the High Court in the case of Warren Farm (Wokingham) Limited v. Wokingham Borough…