We wholly identify with the aims and ethos of the social housing movement.
We take the view that whilst legal advice is a necessary evil in a highly regulated sector and this represents an obvious business opportunity for us, it is not an opportunity which we seek to ruthlessly exploit, but rather enables us to form business partnerships which are genuinely cost effective and deliver high quality advice in a very targeted way. To achieve that objective of creating partnerships we have developed a range of fixed fee advice and training courses which are not only extraordinarily competitively priced, but also designed and tailored to support and develop your own staff and reduce your reliance on external legal advice.
In the South West we work closely with the Personnel and Training Officer Group (PATOG) and the regional office of The National Housing Federation. Our lead partner in the team is Simon Sanger-Anderson who has advised on legal issues in the sector for more than 20 years and was for many years a housing association tenant. He is currently Chair of Devon & Cornwall Housing Association and on the Board of its commercial property subsidiary, Westco.
We Advise On:
- employment advice from discrimination and TUPE through to policies and procedures, senior executive remuneration and the role of non executive directors and board members.
- complicated scenarios e.g. resident wardens in sheltered schemes and allegations of resident abuse as well as time on call.
- housing advice such as simple rent arrears cases, anti-social behaviour injunctions, demotion of tenancies through to possession proceedings.
- property issues from site acquisition and assembly, conditional contracts, planning gain retention and Section 106 Agreements through to straightforward right to buy and Shared Equity sales.
- advise on strategic aspects of housing association activities such as governance and tendering (i.e. for supporting people contracts).
What clients say
Excellent as usual, well done you guys… Appreciate the support.
Sasha Metters, Cornerstone Housing Limited