We know that when someone suffers a serious brain injury, it’s likely to be a life changing event.
If you’ve suffered from a brain injury because of medical negligence, we can help you to get the compensation that you deserve.
Depending on the degree and nature of the injury, we understand that if you’ve suffered from a brain injury, you may have to rely on family members and other people to provide aspects of care that you should be able to take for granted. You may be facing a range of problems as a result of damage to your brain, such as:
- Visual problems
- Hearing problems
- Problems with mobility
- Coordination difficulties
- Cognitive impairment including learning disabilities
- Problems with speech and language
- Problem swallowing
- Problems controlling bowels and bladder leading to incontinence
- Difficulties sleeping
- Limited spatial awareness
Unfortunately, brain injury can also affect personality, so it may be a case that psychological support is needed.
To help you make the most of the function that you have, you may need specialist equipment and therapy.
What are the typical causes of brain injuries?
A brain injury can be caused by any factor which reduces the critical supply of blood to the brain or which leads to damage of brain tissue. Examples of cases we have encountered include:
- Mistakes and /or delays in diagnosing and treating an infection such as meningitis or encephalitis
- Lack of oxygen to the brain during birth or during surgery, resulting in cerebral palsy
- Delay in diagnosis and treatment of hypoglycaemia
- Delay in diagnosis and treatment of severe dehydration
- Inappropriate medication resulting from a prescription error
- Delay in diagnosis and treatment of a brain haemorrhage
- Delay in diagnosis and treatment of a brain tumour
- Delay in diagnosis and treatment of a stroke
- Brain damage following a road traffic collision
What will a compensation claim achieve?
Our specialist medical negligence team know from experience how complex brain injuries can be.
We’ll work tirelessly to investigate claims fully with the aim of achieving an excellent financial package which will enable you to start specialist rehabilitation, therapy, aids/equipment and to pay for an adapted home (if this is appropriate) whilst the claim is on-going. We’ll also consult with you closely and, with the help of specialist experts, we ensure that the compensation that is awarded meets your long-term needs.