Latest insights from our experts
September Often Prompts New Beginnings And Is Notoriously Busy For Divorce Solicitors
Frequently, separating couples choose September as the time to address their divorce issues and as a result many divorce solicitors see a sharp rise in the number of new enquiries they receive.
If you are considering contacting a divorce solicitor to discuss your separation, children or finances then there are a few steps you can take before your first meeting to help the process along:
1. Think about what the most important issues are to you at this time. This might be housing, arrangements for your children, or even what should happen with a joint account. No matter the issue, if it is important to you then you need to ensure you have this in mind when seeking advice.
2. Think about what it is you want to achieve from your meeting with your divorce solicitor. If it is simply a fact finding mission then it may be helpful for you to make a note of what points you wish covered. If you are seeking advice, for example in relation to the divorce process, the division of matrimonial assets and arrangements for your children then having a list of points or questions prepared in advance would be useful.
3. If there are finances for you to consider as a result of a separation, gather as much information as possible as to the assets you own either solely or with your partner or spouse. This will include such information as details of property valuations and mortgages, pension values, liabilities and bank accounts. The more information you can provide, the more comprehensive the advice you will receive.
4. Seek the right advice. Separation and divorce are two of the top most stressful life events and it is vital that you have the right support to guide you through. You should seek advice from a family law specialist. Tozers has a dedicated Family Law Team with offices in Exeter, Newton Abbot and Teignmouth.
5. Try not to worry. Whilst this is an extremely stressful and difficult time, spending your spare time worrying about what might happen will not make matters any easier for you or your family. Once you have been to your first meeting and had some initial advice, this will hopefully this will allay any worries that you have.
Tozers’ divorce solicitors offer a free initial consultation which aims to deal with:
- Identifying the issues
- Finding the best process for you
- Selecting the most appropriate member of our experienced family law team to deal with your case
- The likely costs involved, payment options, including fixed fees, and the timescale for the work
If you would like to book your free meeting, please contact us on: 01392 207020 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org