Latest insights from our experts

Posted 26 February 2015
by Paul Kelly

Sewage treatment plants – do you require a permit?

Where parks are not located within the vicinity of a public sewer park owners will usually choose to dispose of sewage by way of septic tanks or a small sewage treatment plant.

Under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010 (“the Regulations”) Park owners are required to obtain an environmental permit for the use of a septic tank or sewage treatment plant, unless they meet the requirements for an exemption.

One of the exemptions covers small sewage discharges (“SSD”) which are categorised as a maximum daily effluent discharge of 2m3 to the ground or 5m3 to water. If a park owner has an SSD and meets additional requirements relating to volume thresholds, location and maintenance they will qualify for an exemption.

It is important that park owners know whether they require an environmental permit. If a park owner discharged effluent without a permit or an exemption they would be committing an offence and the absence of a permit or an exemption would make the park hard to sell.

If you have any questions regarding environmental permits or if you are interested in subscribing to our Parklaw service contact the parks team by telephone on 01392 207020 or email


Want to know more?

Request a call back or ask us a question using our quick-contact form.
Alternatively you can call us on 01392 207020.

About the author

Paul Kelly

Partner and Solicitor

Paul is the managing partner of the firm