Latest insights from our experts

Posted 7 May 2015

What procedure must your local authority follow when granting, transferring or altering site licences?

With effect from 1 April 2014 the Mobile Homes Act 2013 amended the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 (“the Act”) with regards to site licence applications for residential parks. In particular the Act was amended to provide local authorities with discretion, based on specific factors, as to whether they should grant or transfer a new site licence.

To assist local authorities in understanding the scope of their powers conferred by the Act, the Department for Communities and Local Government have issued guidance. The guidance provides local authorities with advice on the procedures they should follow for each type of site licence application.

This guidance will be of particular interest to park owners, especially where they plan to transfer or alter their site licence. The guidance will enable park owners to understand the processes that will follow from a site licence application and the scope of the local authority’s powers.

The guidance can be found here.

If you have any queries regarding a site licence application or if you are interested in subscribing to our parklaw service contact the parks team by telephone on 01392 207020 or email

Want to know more?

Request a call back or ask us a question using our quick-contact form.
Alternatively you can call us on 01392 207020.

About the author