COVID-19 Update: Tozers is providing our usual client services while maintaining the safety of our clients and colleagues. Full update here

Complete the form below to ask us a question or make an enquiry. We’ll get back to you via phone or email as soon as possible.


What Happens When a Parent Wants to Move Away and Take the Children With Them?

Posted on 25th August 2018 in Family Law

Posted by

Tracy Lambert

Partner and Solicitor
What Happens When a Parent Wants to Move Away and Take the Children With Them?

These days more and more people are spending time abroad, whether they’re overseas on business, trying to build a new life in a different country, or just taking a long trip.

There are plenty of reasons a parent might want to take their child abroad for an extended period, or even indefinitely. However, if the parents have separated, there’s a possibility that this could result in disagreement, especially if one party feels they are being ‘pushed out’ of the family unit and that the move is done to deliberately reduce the amount of time they can spend with the children.

If it’s done amicably, and good arrangements are put in place to ensure the children spend a reasonable amount of time with each parent, then there shouldn’t be a problem – regardless of whether one party moves to an EU or non-EU country. However, if the process is rushed, isn’t given enough thought, or is done out of malice, there could be serious consequences further down the line, especially for the children.

Living Arrangements

Living arrangements settled outside court require a lot of co-operation between the parents. So, generally, ex-partners tend to live relatively close to one another to ensure the child has adequate contact with each parent. Naturally, this is tough to achieve if one parent wants to move abroad with the child. Currently, there are no major barriers on movement between the UK and the EU, so it should be easy for contact to be maintained. However, bear in mind that in a few months’ time we’re exiting the EU, and restrictions on both residency and free movement between the UK and the EU may change dramatically. It’s a matter of ‘watch this space’, and if you are planning to move abroad, talk to an expert in family law who may be able to advise you on the various scenarios we may be facing once the Brexit dust settles.

If you’re moving abroad and want to take the children with you, or if you’re the one being left behind in the UK, you need to know your rights – not just for yourself, but for the sake of your children, too.

Parental Responsibility

Firstly, you need to find out whether you have parental responsibility for your children. If you do, then you legally have a right to contribute to the fundamental decisions that impact your children. This includes whether your child moves abroad with your ex, or stays in the UK with you.

Presently, by default, mothers have parental responsibility. Fathers only automatically gain these rights if they’re married to the mother. Unmarried fathers can also acquire these rights if their child was born after 1st December 2003, as long as the father is named on the birth certificate.

If your child was born before 1st December 2003, and you are not married to the mother, you don’t automatically have parental responsibility unless:

  1. The court grants you parental responsibility
  2. You’ve entered a formal agreement with the child’s mother using the appropriate documentation.

You have parental responsibility, now what?

If you have parental responsibility, your ex-partner cannot take your children out of the country to live abroad legally unless you give your permission.

If you’re happy with their new living arrangements, it’s wise to get a UK court order highlighting the terms of the agreement. This should include the amount of contact you will be having when the child moves abroad. Once completed, we would advise that a “mirror” order is obtained from the EU country the child is moving to. This is essential, as all issues of custody are then dealt with by the laws set in the country where the child is living.

What if you don’t want your child to move?

If you don’t want your child to move abroad, your ex-partner will need to apply to the court for an order to approve the child’s removal. If they decide to proceed with an application to the court, always get professional legal advice.

Sadly, sometimes children are taken abroad without permission from the other parent. This is known as ‘child abduction’. Fortunately, there are legal agreements between the UK and the other EU countries that make it easier to ensure the safe return of your child to the UK if they have been taken without consent.

If you’re a parent handling a child abduction case, make sure you:

  • Hire a solicitor who specialises in this field
  • Make an application to the court as quickly as you can.

The faster you file your application, the sooner your child will be returned. Then, once the child is back in the UK, the court needs to decide whether it’s appropriate for your ex to move abroad with your children on a more permanent basis.

The case in non-EU countries

Outside the EU, things can get more complicated. You can come to an arrangement (in writing) concerning how often the children can visit, who pays for travel costs, and how much say the parent left behind has over their day-to-day concerns such as education, etc.

However, it will also depend on the individual law in the country where your child is now living, and what kind of cross-border relationship there is between the two legal systems as to whether this agreement is acted upon. Put simply, even if you do get a written agreement in place before the children move abroad, there’s no guarantee that it’ll be enforced by the legal system in the country where the child is now living in. That can make it very difficult to challenge those arrangements unless you have clear proof that the welfare of the child is at risk.

If your ex-partner is planning to take your children abroad, speak to a family law specialist as soon as you can. Here at Tozers, we have an experienced team of family law solicitors in Devon, so please do not hesitate to get in touch on 01392 207020.

Company & Industry

Related Insights


Do pensions count as assets when dealing with a divorce?

Posted on 22nd October 2020 in Family Law

Whether retirement is imminent or even some way off, pensions are still taken into consideration when dealing with assets on divorce, and can actually often be the largest asset to consider. Irrespective of who the pension belongs to, it is still an asset about which a court can make orders on divorce. This applies both ways, meaning each spouse will have a ‘claim’ against the other’s pension provision.

Posted by

Aimee Aspinall

Chartered Legal Executive

Unclaimed estates totalling £1.744bn from those without Wills

Posted on 02nd October 2020 in Probate & Wills

It has been reported by a north-east property developer that there are approximately 7,991 estates currently left unclaimed in England and Wales. The total value of which is estimated at £1.744bn, equating to £218,300 per estate. They report that the majority of these estates have been left by single people who have not made a Will.

Posted by

Sue Halfyard

Associate and Chartered Legal Executive