When you’re selling a property, you need to make sure you’ve fulfilled your legal obligations and prepared the necessary paperwork in order to progress. It can feel overwhelming but our experienced conveyancing team are here to help everything go smoothly. We talk you through the process and carry out all tasks efficiently, ensuring you reach completion as quickly and easily as possible.
You may be selling your first home to buy another, selling a house that’s in your care as Executor, or selling an investment property. Whatever your situation, we tailor our advice accordingly, with clear and simple guidance.
Selling a property in Devon – how our solicitors help
Our friendly and approachable team will:
- Provide a personal service, with a dedicated team member - We explain each step in plain English and are available to answer any questions promptly, keeping you fully informed throughout the process.
- Work closely with everyone involved to complete the sale - We discuss with your estate agent what needs to be done to make your sale happen and liaise with them to prepare the relevant legal documents before your property goes onto the market. Having built good relationships with other property professionals in Devon, such as architects, surveyors and structural engineers, we can refer you if needed.
- Carry out the necessary paperwork with care and attention - We provide thorough and timely guidance for even the most complex of transactions. As a full service law firm, we can also often add value to your sale, with access to specialist teams who can help with everything from planning and tenancy issues, to disputes with neighbours.
What is the process for selling a property?
Once you decide to sell your house, we recommend you instruct us as soon as possible, as this gives plenty of time to request any title deeds held by a mortgage lender and forward the standard property forms you need to complete.
These forms are important as they are used by your buyer and their solicitor to decide whether to go ahead with the purchase.
You then need to notify us when a buyer has been confirmed, so we can make sure we receive the memorandum of sale from the estate agents, which sets out details about the property and the sale.
The time it takes to sell your property can vary depending on elements such as the other parties in the chain. We do everything we can to keep this moving forward, ensuring all relevant tasks are handled efficiently at our end. This includes:
- meeting with you to sign the contract ahead of the exchange of contracts
- confirming a completion date
- contacting your mortgage lender to obtain a final redemption statement, which sets out the amount required to pay off the mortgage on completion
- preparing a financial completion statement, including details of all costs and monies
You will also need to sign and return the transfer deed prior to completion and let us know how you wish the sale proceeds to be sent to you.
If you're buying a property at the same time, we make sure you fully understand the purchase process and co-ordinate this with you.
We provide a useful guide to selling your home when you first instruct us, which details the steps involved and includes FAQs and other helpful information.
What are the costs for selling a property?
The legal costs for selling your house depend on factors such as the size of the property and its location. As each client and transaction are different, we avoid a one-size-fits-all approach and tailor our service to your situation. This is competitively priced and we set out all your costs clearly, so you know what to expect from the outset.
Contact us for a bespoke conveyancing quote.
Why choose Tozers?
Our conveyancing team takes pride in delivering an exceptional service and this is reflected in the referrals we receive from past clients. We’re also often recommended by local estate agents (although we do not pay any commission or referral fees to anyone, to make sure we retain our independence and integrity for our clients).
We’ve built a strong reputation in Devon and are accredited under the Law Society’s Conveyancing Quality Scheme. You can feel confident we have the expertise to advise on the legal aspects of selling a property and do everything we can to make this as painless as possible.
“Very approachable, pro-active, efficient and we felt the legal side of the sale of the property was in very capable hands.”
Find out how we can help you sell your property
Contact our conveyancing solicitors to get a quote for our conveyancing services – complete our online enquiry form below or call us at one of our Devon offices.