Charities are subject to a special legal framework imposing significant additional restrictions, responsibilities and requirements on the organisation. Over and above those which non-charitable organisations need to comply with.
Ensuring your charity complies with its governing document and the law is a key responsibility of all charity trustees.
It is vital that all charities can call upon specialist charity legal support when they need it.
What can you expect from us?
- Clear and effective advice
- Practical solutions
- A prompt response
- Transparent costs information
- A wealth of specialist charity law experience and technical expertise.
How can we help?
We are able to provide integrated, specialist legal support on all aspects of charity law compliance, including:
- Trustee duties and responsibilities (including providing ‘in house’ training to trustee boards)
- Constitutional issues and updates
- Obtaining Charity Commission consents and permissions
- Charity law implications of property transactions
- Fundraising, donations and appeals, including arrangements with professional fundraisers and commercial sponsors and compliance with the Code of Fundraising Practice
- Trading arrangements including establishing trading subsidiaries
- Trustee payments and other benefits
We can also help charities and trustees when things go wrong, such as:
- Making serious incident reports (SIRs) to the Charity Commission
- Helping charities respond to Charity Commission investigations and inquiries
We are one of very few law firms in the South West with genuine specialist, in-depth, charity law expertise.
Tozers is recognised as a leading firm for charity law by the independent Legal 500 and Chambers legal directories.
Our team is led by James Evans, who is one of very few senior charity specialist lawyers based west of Bristol, working exclusively with charities, social enterprises, education institutions and other ‘social purpose’ organisations.