Complete the form below to ask us a question or make an enquiry. We’ll get back to you via phone or email as soon as possible.

Family Law

Domestic Abuse

If you or your children have experienced domestic abuse by your partner, then we can help you. 

Domestic abuse can take many forms such as physical, sexual, emotional or psychological abuse. It can affect anyone regardless of sex, race, ethnic or religious group, disability or lifestyle. Whatever form of abuse you have experienced, we are here to support you and to help you to move forwards.


What counts as a criminal offence?

If your partner has been violent towards you or your children, this is a criminal offence and you can report the violence to the police and press charges. You can also pursue a civil remedy through the family courts by applying for an Injunction Order (sometimes known as a Non-Molestation Order or Occupation Order). It’s a criminal offence to breach a Non-Molestation Order and anybody ignoring an Order made against them will also be committing a criminal offence.

The courts can also help you to stop that person intimidating and harassing you, and under some circumstances, the courts can order that person to move out of your home. Any children that live with you can also be protected.


What should I do if I feel at risk?

If you are in immediate danger call the police on 999. If you are in danger and unable to talk on the phone then call 999 and press 55. This will allow the call to be transferred to the relevant police force in your area who will be able to respond without you having to speak.

If you feel at risk, but it is not necessarily an emergency, it may be possible to secure protective orders through the family court. A Non-Molestation Order can be obtained to protect you from further abuse and it may also be possible to secure an Occupation Order requiring your abuser to leave the family home. The courts are able to make these orders to protect those at risk of domestic abuse.


How our Solicitors can help you

Tozers is very experienced in providing legal services to victims of domestic abuse. We support anyone who has suffered domestic abuse at the hands of controlling, coercive and/or abusive partners. Sarah Miller and Chlöe Harvey, based at our Newton Abbot office, are specialists and run our Domestic Abuse Response Team (DART). If you or someone you know has suffered abuse in a domestic environment, please contact us to discuss your situation with complete confidence.



Depending on your situation, you may be eligible for Legal Aid. We can work out whether you will be eligible or if not, provide an estimate of our fees.

Get legal advice and support

Contact Our Legal Experts

Enquire now

Related Services

Family Law Services

Find out more about how we can help you with your legal requirements, with simple information supporting you every step of the way. Alternatively, complete our contact form or call us directly to speak to a member of our experienced team.