Cases of interest
- Resolving a long-running, sixteen party dispute about contributions to the cost of upkeep of a commercial estate road, eventually requiring issue in the Chancery Division of the High Court but settled early in the action.
- Acting on behalf of a wildlife trust in defending a claim brought by a neighbouring landowner who denied their right of access to their nature reserve.
- Guiding and achieving a successful team move from a professional practice against fierce opposition from the remaining partners. Team now prospering in its new practice.
- Annulment of bankruptcy of a client who owned c.£3m freehold assets necessitating careful negotiation with the Trustee in Bankruptcy (represented by a city firm and specialist insolvency counsel) and the petitioning creditors (a national utility supplier represented by in house legal counsel).
- Obtaining a landmark ruling for a limited company in a claim against Barclays for mis-selling a complex hedge fund derivative product (these arrangements are also known as “SWAPs”, “interest rate hedging products” or “IRHP’s”)
- Defending a group action against a holiday park owner based on misrepresentation about holiday use
- Substantial settlement against a commercial landlord who unreasonably refused to consent to the assignment of a lease
- Injunction claim against an outgoing recruitment agency employee for breach of restrictive covenants and mis-use of confidential information
- Setting aside an erroneous court order which wrongfully purported to dispose of trust assets
Areas of special legal interest are
- Land and property disputes – for example over boundaries, covenants and rights of way, often with major commercial significance.
- Company, Partnership and LLP disputes including break ups and team moves.
- Landlord and Tenant matters, both commercial and residential.
- Employment Law advocacy in the employment tribunals and the Employment Appeal Tribunal for large national clients.
- Intellectual Property disputes. Jill heads a small team of IP Lawyers who advise on brand protection including registration of trade marks, protection of copyright and the law relating to the internet and data protection.
- Equine Law. A keen horsewoman and owner of four horses (you can never have too many!) and a successful BD competitor, she has many clients with equine connections and very considerable experience of resolving horse related disputes, usually purchase or ownership disputes but some involving property and planning issues.
Jill qualified as a solicitor in 1990.