Complete the form below to ask us a question or make an enquiry. We’ll get back to you via phone or email as soon as possible.

Insights FAQs People Videos Guides Events

Commercial Planning and Licensing

Temporary Event Notices for Your Business

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) provides licensing permissions for one-off events which are not covered by a premises licence

TENs can be temporally extend or amend a premises current licence, or can apply where there is no existing licensing permission in place, providing added flexibility to your business.

Our licensing experts can make TEN application for you including “late” TENs. If there are objections, we can help to overcome these by liaising with the local authority or police.


How can a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) help my business?

You may want a TEN if the hours of an event that you want to hold in your premises finishes later than the permitted hours on your existing licence. Alternatively, you may want to hold an event on land which does not have a licence at all. If you will be supplying alcohol or there will be regulated entertainment, such as live or recorded music, then you will need to apply for a TEN.


Do Temporary Event Notices (TENs) have any restrictions?

TENs apply for events where there will be no more than 499 people attending, including staff and performers. A TEN can last for up to a period of 7 days but there must be 24 hours between one event ending and the next event starting. The number of days in total in any calendar year cannot be more than 21.

There can only be 15 TENs per calendar year for any premises. An individual applying for a TEN can only apply for 5 TENs per year unless they have a personal licence in which case they apply for 50 TENs, to take place in different premises. 


Planning law specialists with a commercial focus

Having spent time within planning departments in the public sector, we have a comprehensive knowledge of the planning system and local government administrative law – with the ability to view this from all perspectives.

We work collaboratively with colleagues across the firm, drawing on the expertise from our parks, countryside matters, and company and commercial teams. This enables us to provide specialist, commercially focused advice, tailored to your specific needs.

From planning issues to licensing applications, we ensure there are no barriers to your business activities, helping you to get the details right so that you can proceed with confidence.

Get legal advice and support

Contact Our Legal Experts

Enquire now

Related Services

Commercial Planning and Licensing Services

Find out more about how we can help you with your legal requirements, with our knowledge of planning issues for a range of business clients of all sizes. Alternatively, complete our contact form or call us directly to speak to a member of our experienced team.