Employment disputes can be both disruptive and costly to your business. Expert advice is recommended from an early stage to not only ensure financial and reputational damage to your business is minimised, but to also help you avoid claims before they begin.
Since the abolition of Employment Tribunal fees in July 2017, the Employment Tribunal is more accessible by employees than ever, meaning that employers are now more susceptible to Tribunal claims than ever.
With a strong industry reputation and flexible fee options we can help you minimise the risk of a claim by an employee.
Top claims avoidance tips for employers
- Always check the employment contract and company policies before taking any action to ensure you are acting in accordance with them.
- Dismissal or disciplinary action should not be a decision taken lightly; other measures should be considered first such as occupational health, performance management or an informal conversation. Quite often there are underlying reasons for absences and under-performance and so these should be explored with the employee to eliminate any valid reasons for a fall in standards.
- Ensure that any processes you follow (i.e. grievances and disciplinary) adhere to your own policies and those of which an Employment Tribunal will consider, particularly the ACAS Code of Practice on disciplinary and grievance procedures.
- Keep up to date with employment law changes, particularly regular updates such as the national minimum wage and statutory sick pay. We provide employment law updates for all of our EASY clients – please contact our team of employment law experts to find out more.
- If you are not sure, ask. We advise employers and HR professionals on all aspects of employment law. We can assist you with managing difficult employment issues in a way which will minimise the risk of a Tribunal claim.
Employment law that works for you
As dedicated employment law solicitors we have built a strong reputation, with clients often commenting on our ‘exceptional’ service and commitment to going the extra mile. Working with you to understand your needs and creating bespoke advice in a cost-effective manner.
We are recognised by leading legal directory, The Legal 500, which notes in particular our ‘strong track record for contentious work’ and the work of Stephen Jennings, our head of team, delivering clear results.